Sunday, August 12, 2012

Senior Project

        It all started when I ran over our white picket fence with a car.
        We all had one week left to decide what our senior project was going to be. I was contemplating my many options as I started to remove the broken fence pieces. I had a few ideas, but I wanted to find something that I was truly interested in.
        I was also thinking about the ugly picket fence. I did not even like the fence before I broke it. (While talking about this incident, I want to note that I am not a bad driver! I have never hit anything else except for that fence, and when I hit the fence I was backing out and turning in my parent's very large car which I am not used to driving and it has horrible visibility) Anyways, I looked through the slats of the fence at the overgrown weeds that we call the front yard. I grumbled to myself, saying that a new fence wouldn't even make the yard look much better.
        "This fence is going to be a big project," said my dad as he watched me work.
        "Maybe it should be my senior project then," I jokingly said to myself. Then I suddenly realized, "I SHOULD REDO THE YARD FOR MY SENIOR PROJECT!"
        I have always enjoyed the outdoors and pretty gardens. When I was little, I used to love to help pick out new flowers to put in the garden. I used to occasionally help my mom plant or weed. I always planned on taking over my own section of the garden, but I was always too busy.
        Since we began remodeling the basement, both our front and back yards have been ruined by constant construction work. The self-done remodel (my dad is an architect and always insists that we do all the work ourselves) has taken FOREVER. I am convinced that our house will not look finished before I leave for college, and that is only the inside of the house. I can't imagine when my parents will ever fix up the outside, and my dad would never call in a professional landscaper. I am tired of having a house that is constantly unfinished, so I decided to fix this problem and have a fun experience with my senior project.
        I decided I would learn about landscaping and redo the front and back yards as my senior project. I am going to write my research paper on something about native plants, and I will use them in my garden. I have been out of town for much of the summer, so I haven't started any physical work. However, I did find much inspiration in my travels. Here is some cool landscaping I have seen:



I'm really excited to get started and especially excited to see the final product!

       


1 comment:

  1. If you're not careful you might get an invitation to do my front yard (back is done, and not too badly at that). I like the watermelons, too. You'll really have my respect if you can set the timer on a drip irrigation system. I haven't managed that yet!

    ReplyDelete